GAME ON. HOW TO PLAY
Come on in. Grab a paddle and let your hair down. You're at SERVE now so leave the seriousness at the door. Wear what you like, bring who you like, stay however long you like. We designed SERVE to help you feel right at home, with tempting food and where creative premium cocktails flow. We ensure we'll fuel the fun.
Dress to impress or go smart casual, it's all good here. As long as you're having fun and playing fairly, we're all for it.
You'll soon realise that there's no single ping pong type – you'll meet all kinds at SERVE and that's our unique advantage – we're all-inclusive, offer great service and we're all about the game. We're on point! Something we believe has a real benefit both at the table and beyond.
Let's be honest though. Everyone likes to win. And most things in life are more enjoyable when you know what you're doing. If you don't yet know how to play ping pong, read on. Brush up your skills and learn the basics of play. Here are ten crucial tips on how to play ping pong:
- You won't be thrown out of SERVE for calling the game 'table tennis'. The competitive sport itself is referred to as 'table tennis', although when you're just playing for fun socially, we just refer to it as 'ping pong'.
- There's no general rule on who goes first. Flip a coin, play rock, paper, scissors, stone or just decide who has the best shoes on the day, whatever, just get on the ping pong table!
- Scoring in ping pong is simple. A match is simply the best 3 of 5 games and a game finishes when the first player reaches 11 points.
- A point is scored after each ping pong ball is put into play.
- The edges of the ping pong table are part of the legal table surface, but not the sides. So no sneaking the side rule!
- Each ping pong player serves two points in a row and then you switch server.
- If a score of 10-10 is reached in any ping pong game, each server serves only one point and then the server is switched.
- After each game, the ping pong players switch table sides and in the final game, players switch sides again after either player reaches 5 points. Ah, the dizzy heights of success.
- Your ping pong paddle should have a red and a black side and your ping pong ball should be either orange or white.
- Your ping pong table should be 2.74 meters long, 1.525 meters wide and 0.76 meters high (precise but true) but don't worry, we supply the ping pong tables so there's no need to get your ruler out.